2-3 days hands-on/ pottery demonstration workshop
ALL CLASSES OFFERED BY ANTOINETTE IS FOR BOTH WHEEL THROWING AND HAND-BUILDING POTTERS.
Example : 3 days hands-on porcelain hand building dinnerware workshop.
Review the character of porcelain
Hand-building a mug
Hand building a bowl
Finishing pinch bowls
Finishing and altering bowl and mug
Discuss elements of a teapot
Begin with a press molded teapot
Finish press molded teapot
Carve and decorate objects made.
Questions and answers
All day porcelain exhibition by Antoinette Badenhorst
This hand building porcelain dinnerware workshop is also available in a more detailed 10 week online workshop.
During short hands-on workshops, Antoinette gives a short overview of the character of porcelain and demonstrate her signature vessels. Potters will get opportunities to practice and create thin translucent vessels on the potter’s wheel or by hand.
These workshops can also cover hand built and wheel thrown functional objects.
Below is an example of an Understanding porcelain workshop.
Hands-on porcelain workshops
Example : 3 Days hands-on porcelain hand building workshop.
Review Porcelain :
Why hand building.
Tools and equipment
Pinching bowls - learn about the stages of porcelain
Build slabbed vessel
Build press molded vessel
Continue to pinch bowls-stages of porcelain
Combine coils,slabs and pinching techniques.
Continue with altering. Plan surface design
Trimming and finishing professionally
Finish all projects: Execute and finish surface design.- carving and or water etching.
Prepare work for bisque kiln.
The hand building porcelain online class is a follow-up of the Understanding porcelain class. If you are interested in an extended porcelain class experience, consider Porcelain hand building with Antoinette Badenhorst
The shorter the workshop, the more intense and limited with information. In these short classes, observation often works better; especially when beginners are in the class.
A combination between hands-on and demonstrating workshops works well. Antoinette occasionally pair a group of beginner observers with a small group of experienced potters hands-on. It is a great way to give both groups an opportunity to learn.
Hands-on porcelain workshops
Example: 3 Day Understanding Porcelain workshop
Day 1: morning
Brief introduction: Discussion of porcelain clay characteristics and history.
2 Days basic pottery glazing workshop
Potters who struggle with glazes or never learned to glaze will benefit from this class.
- History of glazes
- What is a glaze?
- What is the purpose of glazes?
- Making an analogy – use ingredients from the kitchen.
- Discuss buying glazes: What to know when you buy glazes.
- How to mix commercial glazes bought at a ceramic store.
- Discuss glaze flaws and how to correct them.
Glazes will be tested on 2 clay colors.
Day one: Morning
Day 2: Morning
Understanding glaze materials
Use samples of raw materials melted.
Wax bisque ware (if applicable)
Day 2: Afternoon
Glaze objects and samples and pack the kiln
Day 2: Evening
- That the workshop hours may vary depending on the glazing and firing schedule.
- Each potter will mix a different base glaze recipes
- Each potter will receive 2 base glazes + 14 colored glaze recipes each, repeated on 2 different clay bodies = 30 sample glaze tests to take home.
- Each potter will work on a different batch of glaze tests. We will try to make it a broad variety so that all attendees can learn from each other. All recipes will become available for everyone.
- We will do all tests in an electric kiln
- Each participant will be responsible to mix 2 base glazes, adding in the colorants to and dipping in a set of test tiles.
- All results will be discussed and become available to all participants. *general overview of glazes, glaze classification and firing principles. He also discussed how and why each type of glaze works, how one can achieve them, how to adjust a glaze and how to find new ones. *